Graham Simpson is demanding answers from South Lanarkshire Council on the plan to dual Stewartfield Way after MSPs were told the authority has not put forward any changes to the controversial project.
The Scottish Parliament’s Local Government and Communities Committee heard last week (Feb 27) there had been “radio silence” from the council on whether it wishes to amend or scrap the £62million plan.
MSPs heard that other councils had revisited infrastructure projects but that South Lanarkshire has not. The revelation came during questioning on the Glasgow City Deal by Mr Simpson.
Graham Simpson said: “It was absolutely astonishing and, frankly, a bit worrying, to be told that the council has not even looked afresh at this project, despite overwhelming opposition to it.
“Other councils are looking at their projects to see if they still merit being taken forward but South Lanarkshire has not.
“I am launching a campaign to get the council to see sense on this and make changes at the very least.
“I have offered to meet with council leader John Ross but he has not even had the good manners to respond to that genuine approach. The offer remains open.
“Keeping mum is not good enough. Maybe people power will elicit some kind of response.”