Please see undernoted briefing points in relation to the reinstatement of limited general indoor visiting in some of Lanarkshire’s care homes. NHS Lanarkshire and partners are set to make the first steps to reintroducing indoor visiting in care homes.
- Some care homes, which are in a safe position to do so, will reintroduce limited general indoor visiting from Saturday 12 December 2020.
- The developments come after confirmation that level four restrictions will be removed on North and South Lanarkshire on Friday 11 December 2020 at 6pm. These restrictions meant only window and garden visits, along with essential visits where appropriate, were able to take place providing there was no outbreak at the care home.
- As restrictions drop to level three, NHS Lanarkshire and Health and Social Care Partners have been, in recent weeks and months, supporting care homes in preparations to make the reintroduction of indoor visiting as safe as possible.
- This ongoing process has involved a rigorous programme of preparations and risk assessments across all care homes.
- For care homes where limited indoor visits has now been recommended by NHS Lanarkshire, clear guidance has been made to reduce risk for residents and staff. This includes restricting visits to one designated visitor, once per week for 30 minutes. This will be reviewed going forward. Physical distancing (of at least two metres) should be maintained during visits with appropriate PPE in place.
- Visitors should note that this reintroduction is gradual, at the care home manager’s discretion and they should liaise directly with the care home in advance to arrange a visit. Due to staffing and practical considerations, some care homes where a recommendation has been made to reintroduce visiting, may not be able to start limited general visits specifically on December 12. NHS Lanarkshire and partners thank people for their patience and forbearance as care homes work hard to host visitors safely.
- All care homes in Lanarkshire have been notified of whether or not it is recommended limited indoor visiting can recommence at this stage. They are liaising directly with residents and their families. Communication support to enable clear messaging has been provided to care homes.
- frequently asked questions have also been published.
- The position where NHS Lanarkshire can offer a slight relaxation to indoor visiting in some care homes restrictions is testament to the hard work and commitment of all staff and partners involved.